1929 - Local Government Act. The Guardians of the poor were abolished under the Local Government Act, 1929, which transferred their functions to the county and county borough councils. This began the process of providing assis tance through other general services rather than by way of poor relief, a process which was developed by the State with old age pensions, State insurance and (after 1948) under the National Assistance and subsequent Acts. The workhouses became redundant, having lost their original purpose, but some of the old buildings were still used for hospitals. From the residents of Leverstock Green's point of view this meant that they were no longer divided between three authorities when it came to the provision of healthcare services such as smallpox inoculation etc. [ http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/ASH/Localgov.htm ; http://www.hertsfhs.org.uk/hfphs46.html ; S93]
1929 - Some changes were evident in the entry for Leverstock Green in Kelly's Directory for this year. For some reason they no longer gave information on the school and the village policeman, although evidence from the Gazette and other sources showed they still existed! The Earl of Verulam was now listed as the only principal landowner.
A larger number of private residents were listed, amongst whom was Malcolm Webster at St. Michael's End - the property which had previously been the Red Lion P.H. Humphrey Secretan had succeeded Herbert Secretan at The Dells, refreshment rooms had opened at Cox Pond (I'm assuming the beverage was tea rather than beer!) Refreshment in the form of beer was declining in popularity, and there was at this time only one proper Pub and four beer retailers. Telephone numbers were slightly more widespread. The list was as follows:
Robert Addie, Denver, Bennetts End Joseph Bailey, Chambersbury William Beecham, Wood Lane End Charles Bessant, Tile Kiln ,B.E. Mrs. Brebner, Hill Farm House Will. Chas. Child, Hill Side Alfred Croker, Logandene ,B.E. Archie Fred. Day, Rooks Nest B.E. Chas.Thos. Drake, Hill House Rev. Arthur Durrant,Vicarage John Art. Marston, Orchard Lea B.E. Richard Morrison ,Ben.End House Humphrey B.Secretan, The Dells Malc.Webster, St. Michael's End
Percy Webster, Sibleys Orchard.
Geo. Bailey, frmr. Woodside, B.E.
Jsph. Bailey, frmr ,Chambersbury
Fred. Boatwright,beer retailer
Fred. Chas. Boatwright, farmer
G.F.Dell & sons, farmers
Albt. Edwards, dairyman, Wellswood Farm
George Albert & Herbert Finch, farmers, Corner Farm
Mrs. Ethel Holloway, refreshment rooms, Cox Pond
Charles Lines, beer retailer
Geo.Douglas Little, farmer, Westwick Hall Farm
William Long, grocer & post office
Arth. Geo. Mears R.S.S. smith
Arth. Wm. Nelms, beer retailer
Harry Parradine, frmr. L.Coxpond
Arth. Seabrook, Leather Bottle P.H.
Arth. Geog. Seabrook, boot/shoe ma
Reuben Seabrook, hay dlr, Tile Kiln La.
Walt Seabrook, beer ret., B.E.
Wm. Walt. Sears, builder
Wm.Alfd. Skeggs, grocer
Miss Emma Sollaway, shopkeeper
Art. Webber, farmer LG.Farm
Robert William Wright, wheelwright and parish clerk.
2nd February 1929 Chambersbury was burgled and various items of silver stolen. See report of trial held on 14th of February reported in the Gazette 16th February. [Gazette 16th Feb 1929]
6th February 1929 The Funeral took place of Mrs Emily Long, wife of Mr W Long of Leverstock Green Post Office. Unfortunately the microfilm of the Gazette article was illegible but for the first sentence. Mrs Long, who was aged 60, had died on 2nd February. [Gazette 16th February 1929, S261]
9th Feb 1929 The Gazette carried an advert for a 3 bed-roomed bungalow for sale (freehold) in Leverstock Green ; no price was given anyone interested had to apply to Fred Lack of Abbots Langley. [Gazette 9th Feb 1929]
16th February 1929 - The Gazette carried two reports concerning a burglary in Leverstock Green. Both reports gave more or less the same information, but one was reporting the hearing at the Magistrates court held on Thursday 7th Feb at which the defendants were committed to trial. The second, much longer and extremely detailed report referred to the Trial which was held in Watford the following week, Thursday 14th February. Obviously justice didn't take so long to go through the motions in 1929 as it does in 2003! Both articles carried the headline:
LEVERTSOCK GREEN BURGLARY
There had been three defendants :John McDonah (22), Charles Reid (51) & George Woodcock (35), all of whom were charged with breaking & entering the dwelling house of Joseph Bailey at Leverstock Green and stealing a number of silver articles. John McDonah had pleaded guilty the others not guilty. George Woodcock was formally discharged as no case was brought against him by the Prosecuting council. The robbery had occurred on 2nd February and evidence was given by Mrs Rhoda Anne Bailey of Chambersbury, her maid Jane Sears and PC W.H. Dickinson (of Leverstock Green) The article gave the precise details of where the stolen goods were found, the "trap" set by the Police to catch the offenders and the exact wording the various witnesses and defendants gave in court. Both men were found guilty with Reid being bound over for 3 months and McDonah given a 3 year sentence. [Gazette 16th February 1929]
12th March 1929 - 19th March 1929 - The Rev. Durrant recorded in the school log book that the village school had to close due to the headmaster being ill and the absence of Miss Herbert due to her father's death. [S73]
6th April 1929 the Gazette reported a BIG BLAZE AT LEVERSTOCK GREEN.
On Good Friday morning there was a big fire at Leverstock Green; the dry gorse and brushwood in a spinney near Pancake Lane burning fiercely. Flames spread to a considerable height and spread across the road. This was the state of affairs, which the Hemel Hempstead, who made a smart turn out found on arrival at the scene. Their difficulties were added to by the fact that the hydrant was the other side of the flames, and shielding their faces the fireman dashed past the conflagration with flames all but reaching them, to connect the hose to the hydrant. Excellent organisation and hard work by the brigade soon made itself felt and t fire was soon got under control. Nearby was a house with garage attached, and the firemen successfully devoted their efforts in preventing the spread to this. They were able to withdraw after about 2 hours from the scene of the fire, but even on Good Friday they were not allowed to rest for long as Common Fires were cropping up all over the district" [Gazette 6th April 1029]
6th April 1929 There was a high profile local wedding:
LEVERSTOCK GREEN FAMILIES UNITED
On Saturday April 6th at Marlowes Baptist Church Hemel Hempstead was the scene of a wedding which aroused very deep interested in Hemel Hempstead and Leverstock Green. Both bride & bridegroom were well known members of highly respected families of that village and they also have many friends in Hemel Hempstead and district. The bride was Miss Lillian Ann Wilkins youngest daughter of Mr & Mrs George Wilkins if Leverstock Green, and the bridegroom Mr Leslie Ralph Seabrook, son of Mr & Mrs Arthur Seabrook of the Leather Bottle Leverstock Green. A beautifully fine day favoured the event and there and there gathered at the church many well wishers. The Rev Colin C Dawson officiat4ed and the service included the singing of the hymn "Love divine all Love's excelling" & Praise my soul the King of Heaven. Mr W T Robinson was at t5he organ and accompanied the singing of the hymns and also played Mendelssohn's wedding march as the newly wedded couple left the church. Miss Wilkins was a charming bride in a white georgette and silver lace dress, with veil worked with lovers' knots and coronet of orange blossom. Her shoes were of silver with stockings to tone and she also wore a gold wrist watch, the gift to the groom. Her bouquet was of beautiful red roses and lilies if the valley and she carried a coloured beaded dress purse. Miss Hilda Wilkins (niece of the bride) was the chief bridesmaid and Miss Madge Parkins, aged 3 was a confident picturesque attendant. The chief bridesmaid was attired in a dress of Sax blue silk, black hat, trimmed with blue flowers, coloured brocade shoes and silver stockings. The little maid was daintily dressed in pink georgette with pink lace trimmed with forget me knots and patent shoes. She carried a basket of pink roses and forget me knots; the flowers of the chief bridesmaid being pink roses. Mr G Wilkins gave his daughter away and F A Wilkins (brother of the bride) was best man. After the ceremony a reception was held at the Marlowes Baptist Chapel Memorial all where a large company extended hearty felicitations to the happy couple. The honeymoon is being spent in Bournmouth and later in the day Mr & Mrs L Seabrook left for their seaside resort. The bride's going away dress being of Sax blue crepe de chine with hat to match. Grey chinchilla velvet coat, black patent shoes and white stockings. The bridegroom will be known as a keen sportsman and for some years was connected with the Webster Cup competition. Amongst the numerous presents received were those from Messers P J White & Sons the bride's employers, a dinner service and breakfast set; Messers Stanley Robinson & Sons Commin, St ALBANS WHERE THE BRIDEGROOM is engaged and their staff, cheque and cutlery canteen; and a cheque from the Leverstock Green Parish Hall Committee. [Gazette 16th April 1929 (front page news)]